To be perfectly honest, I didn't expect to pick up this game. I went to the store and saw this game and Alan Wake on the shelf. I had read the review of Alan Wake on IGN a while back, and they gave it a mediocre score. Then there was Red Dead Redemption. I had been told more than once that it was simply Grand Theft Auto IV in the wild west. Now I am not a huge fan of GTA IV, but I figured I would get this game to see if the rumors were true, and boy was I surprised.
Yes, Red Dead Redemption is in the same style as GTA IV, you do various missions for people to progress the story, and travel from point A to point B. The combat is also similar to GTA IV, but with the added addition of an ability called Dead Eye. Basically Dead Eye allows you to slow down time and mark targets to shoot which then the character you play shoots in quick succession. You also have various side missions to complete such as requests by strangers and bounty hunting missions. Now this game shares a few similarities to GTA IV, especially considering it was made by the same people, but I found this game much more enjoyable. The single player story was more interesting than GTA IV, and it was enthralling enough to keep me wanting to do more and more missions to see what happens. Something about the wild west appeals to me more. Although, there are a few dull missions at the beginning and end of the game, there are more than enough to keep you occupied. There are also wild animals for you to hunt, which can be fun (for those of you who don't mind killing animals). Finally there are various outfits that you can unlock, which give you various benefits but in order to get the outfits you must complete a set of requirements.
There is also multiplayer for this game, although I haven't really got round to actually playing a round yet, as the single player story does take (depending on how much extra things you do) 12-24 hours to complete, which I am quite pleased about. There are various game types, including free roaming. Also later on a co-op mission DLC pack (which is free) is coming out in which you and a friend complete six missions together.
Scores
Graphics: 10/10 The graphics are great, with good draw distances and the environments look amazing, especially when you are just traveling on your horse.
Gameplay: 9/10 Despite a few bugs, gameplay is generally quite enjoyable and challenging (especially the one on one duels)
Sound: 10/10 Great sounds effects, sound track and voice acting, it almost feels like you are right there experiencing it for real.
Replayability: 10/10 The single player takes a good amount of time to complete, and with free co-op DLC on the way and the multiplayer, it will have you coming back for more.
Overall Score: 9.8/10
No comments:
Post a Comment